Number of people in attendance: 14
Winter Field Day
No update from last week, as building landlord is out of the country. Jeff will continue to attempt to secure the building and roof over the holidays.
- Glenn is heading up FCC Exam test mentoring from 5-6 pm before the meetings, and has elicited the help of a couple other regular attendees
- Brad delivered the QSL cards to the group, which are being kept in the front desk for now
- Brad spoke about his testing of the low-cost 2m antenna that was discussed last week, and said its performance was respectable for satellite given it’s very small size
- Mike talked about the what3words website and apps, and at how he was impressed. with how accurate it was to tightly-defined locations
- Mike spoke about his experimentation with JS8 Call, which adds messaging to a protocol similar to FT8. Said he was able to reach coast-to-coast on 15W
- Al brought up APRS Link as well, which connects APRS and Winlink
- Dean talked about a notice he received from W5WI, who offers a paid service to renew FCC licenses, but the consensus with the group was that it was no longer necessary because the FCC website makes easy
- Members from the group offered their help to anyone who struggles with their license renewals in the future
- Dean discussed the MAARS Facebook page’s PDF file of local radio clubs, which was triggering antivirus software alerts
- The issue was a link to the milwares.org site, which is on some lists as a phishing site. Dean found that removing that link from the PDF file alleviated the problem
- Andre noted that we maintain a web copy of the PDF file under Ham Radio Organizations
- It was noted that we need tri-fold brochures for the Swapfest brochures for the West Allis swapfest on January 4th
- Andre said that he believes Patrick has them
- Pancho said that he missed the one-item auction that used to take place, and volunteered to bring in items if we bring the auction back
- Andre led a long discussion, asking people their thoughts on three questions, and wants to solicit the feedback from all members by phone or email if necessary
- 1. Why are you part of this club? Why do you come here week after week?
- 2. What do you want the club to be in the future?
- 3. What do you think of Howard’s letter in QST, particularly the part about Tech licensees and that young people join causes, not organizations?
- 10/14 members answered until we ran out of time
Please follow and like us: